DrVoyageur - Budget Travel Tips Home Page
Off the beaten track L.A.
L.A. at night
Reaching the Disneyland from L.A. and Santa Monica
On this page, you'll find directions for driving to Disneyland from Los Angeles or Santa Monica or using public transportation to reach Disneyland.
If staying in Santa Monica or Los Angeles,
a convenient way to reach Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm, though
a more expensive one, is to take a tour
This allows you to jump the queue to get in and saves you from the hassle of driving in L.A. traffic or travelling long distances on public buses.
Outstanding Disneyland-area hotel bargains. Try this: Hotwire.com
Reaching Disneyland by public transportation
From the Amtrak Union Station in downtown
Los Angles, you can reach the Disneyland by either frequent Amtrak or Metrolink trains to Fullerton Station.
These trains cross the concrete Los Angeles River, where so many movies, including part of Terminator II, were filmed. Amtrak Union Station, too, has been used in nearly countless films and television shows.
From Fullerton Station, you then take an Orange County Transit bus to Disneyland, which takes just a few minutes.
You can also take either Amtrak or Metrolink from Union Station to the Amtrak Anaheim Stadium Station and walk to Disneyland, although this may take too long for some.
From anywhere in the immediate Los Angeles area, you can ride Metropolitan
Transit Authority (MTA) buses to Amtrak Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. Visit its Internet site for schedules.
Note that MTA transit buses usually must brave the same thick traffic as other vehicles.
If coming from Hollywood or North Hollywood, you can ride the MTA red line subway to Union Station.
To reach Amtrak Union Station from Santa Monica, see its express line #10 on the Big Blue Bus site. This is one of the best transit operations in the United States.
Reaching Disneyland by car from Santa Monica and West Los Angeles.
If driving from Santa Monica, avoid going
through downtown Los Angeles (unless you are used to the sometimes
complicated Los Angeles freeways), and instead —
- Take Interstate 10 (I-10), staying in the right lanes, east to I-405, the San Diego Freeway.
- Drive south on Interstate 405 to I-105 (near LAX Airport).
- Go east on I-I05 to I-605, and follow directions below.
If driving from West Los Angeles and the Westwood Village area, avoid going through downtown Los Angeles (unless you are used to the sometimes complicated Los Angeles freeways), and instead —
- Drive south on Interstate 405 to I-105. (near LAX Airport).
- Go east on I-105 to I-605.
Avoid exiting I-105 anywhere
between I-405 and I-710, as some neighbourhoods are not safe.
If you break down, do not exit. Instead, pull well off the freeway lanes, and put the
hood (bonnet) up (getting out on the passenger side, not the traffic side) and the emergency lights on. Police pass every
- Travel south on I-605 two interchanges to the Artesia Freeway.
- Drive east on the Artesia Freeway, State Highway 91, which passes
near Knotts Berry Farm.
- Go south (southeast) on the Santa Ana Freeway, I-5.
- Take I-5 south to Harbor Boulevard.
- Travel south on Harbor Boulevard to Disneyland, whose main entrance
is on right.
If driving from Los Angeles and Santa Monica to Orange County,
rush hour will extend your trip, and rush hour is no mere hour in
southern California, which has more cars than people.
major city devotes a third of its downtown to parking?
to travel too rapidly between 7 A.M and 9:30 A.M. and again between
3:30 P.M. and 6:00 P.M. or later.
Reaching Disneyland by car from Hollywood and Universal City
If travelling from the Hollywood or Universal City (Universal Studio) areas,
- Take the Hollywood Freeway (U.S. Highway 101) southbound (southeast bound) through centre city Los Angeles.
- As you near downtown, follow the signs for U.S. Highway 101 and the Santa Ana Freeway.
As you drive these freeways, always be looking ahead as far as possible to see what lanes you should be in for the route you wish to take.
If you cannot safely change lanes fast enough, don't. Instead, continue to an interchange, exit the freeway, and then enter the freeway going back toward your missed turn.
- Interstate 5 joins the Santa Ana Freeway east of downtown and U.S. 101 ends.
- Continue on the Santa Ana Freeway, now I-5.
- Exit southbound onto Harbor Boulevard.
- Go south on Harbor Boulevard to Disneyland, which will be on your right.
For more about your Disneyland visit:
Go to >> Dinseyland - Introduction
Go to >> Disneyland - Disneyland
or Disney World?
Go to >> Disneyland - Accommodation
Go to >> Disneyland - Knott's Berry
For additional L.A. information:
Go to >> Introduction to your visit
Go to >> Off the beaten track L.A.
Go to >> L.A. at night
Go to >> Links to the most useful
Back to Top