DrVoyageur - Budget Travel Tips Home Page
Amtrak, Via Rail
Canada & USA Bus Travel Pros & Cons
Bus Trips for Best Scenery
How to plan a scenic Greyhound itinerary
Accessing Greyhound Canada and Greyhound USA online sites, you easily find departure
and arrival times, but you have to dig deeper to access connection points and the
route taken. Those the scenery you see.
Why is this so important? Here are examples. These times are outdated, but they illustrate the point.
you want to travel from Chicago to Las Vegas.
Greyhound.com tells you that departures are at >>>
- 1:00 a.m.,
- 2:00 a.m.,
- 12:01 Noon,
- 12:01 Noon (a second departure at same time),
- 2:45 p.m.,
- 4:45 p.m.,
- 7:00 p.m., and
- 10:15 p.m.
Here is a summary of what you would experience with these choices.
- The 1:00 a.m. departure involves a convenient connection in
Salt Lake City, but misses the most scenic part of the Rocky Mountains
and crossing the Mississippi River during daylight.
- The 2:00 a.m. coach needs no connection, but you miss experiencing the
Rockies during daylight.
- The 9:45 a.m. bus travels through to Las Vegas, but misses seeing all of the Colorado Rockies in daylight. However, it does stop the least of any of these choices.
- The first 12:01 Noon bus has a convenient connection in Salt
Lake City and sees the Mississippi River, but misses the most
scenic portion of the Rockies altogether.
- The second 12:01 Noon departure needs no connection, passes the
Mississippi during daylight,and spends a full day travelling
through the most scenic portion of the Colorado Rockies. Its
late evening arrival in Las Vegas shows the neon lighted city
That is why it is so important to compare Greyhound times to maps. Just
knowing the times that you leave your first city and arrive at your
ultimate destination is not sufficient if you are serious about
maximizing the enjoyment of your trip.
Also, see Greyhound - Travelling
scenic coach routes for help choosing the scenic routes.
Enjoy your trip!
›› California's Super Bargain Rail Itinerary
›› Amtrak & Via Rail Canada
pros & cons
›› Amtrak, Via Rail - scenic routes
›› Amtrak & Via Rail Canada booking tips
›› Bus travel - pros & cons
›› Greyhound - scenic routes
›› Planning Greyhound bus trips for best scenery
Copyright 1999-2019 Nadeau eSolutions, LLC. All rights reserved.