DrVoyageur - Budget Travel Tips Home Page
>> Choosing the
best hostel for you
>> Hollywood hostels: pros and cons
>> L.A. beach hostels: pros and cons
Los Angeles Hostel Tips: Beach Hostels Directions
Using Public Transit to Reach Hostels in
Venice Beach, Santa Monica, and Hermosa Beach
From LAX Airport, Amtrak Los Angeles Union Station, and Greyhound
This compliments hostel descriptions and location pros and cons in Los Angeles Hostel Tips: Beach Hostels.
Directions from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
These public transit directions to hostels along LA's beaches in Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica, and Venice Beach from LAX Airport, Amtrak, and Greyhound deliberately avoid unsafe transfer locations, but use caution as you would in any large city.
- To HI Santa Monica Hostel: from the front of the arrival (baggage claim) level of any main LAX terminal, take the free “Lot C Shuttle” transfer bus to the LAX Transit Terminal.
From there, board the number 3 or Rapid 3 Santa Monica Big Blue Bus to 4th Street and Santa Monica Boulevard. Cross 4th, and walk toward the ocean on Santa Monica Boulevard. Turn left on 2nd Street to 1436 on right for the hostel.
- To Venice Beach hostels: From the front of the arrival (baggage claim) level of any main LAX terminal, take the free “Lot C Shuttle” transfer bus to the LAX Transit Terminal.
Then take Santa Monica's "Big Blue Bus" #3 toward Santa Monica. Give the driver the address of your Venice hostel and ask her or him the best place to transfer.
If you don't have heavy luggage, you can also get off the #3 bus along Lincoln Boulevard in Venice and walk over, but don't do this after dark!
- To Hermosa Beach Surf City Hostel: from the front of the arrival (baggage claim) level of any LAX terminal building, take the free “Lot C Shuttle” transfer bus to the LAX Transit Terminal.
Then take Metro bus 109 (double check this to make sure still current number) southbound to 11th Street and Hermosa Avenue. Walk north on Hermosa and then left on Pier Avenue toward beach to the hotel.
Directions from Amtrak Union Station, downtown Los Angeles
- To Santa Monica HI Hostel:
Big Blue Bus Express #10 - Weekday rush hours only - To Santa Monica hostel area late afternoon - To downtown weekday mornings.
From Union Station exit the main entrance—the front entrance via the waiting room—of Union Station (the one seen in so many Hollywood films) and cross wide Alameda Street in front of the station.
(Los Angeles was founded in the historic park adjacent to this spot.)
Then, from the northwestern corner of Alameda and Los Angeles streets directly across from the station main entrance, take Santa Monica Big Blue Bus number 10.
If arriving on days or times when there is no Big Blue Bus service, take Metro bus 33 from the Patsaouras bus plaza in back of Union Station to the corner of 2nd Street and Santa Monica Boulevard.
Or, take the Metro Green Line light-rail line from various stops in downtown L.A. This heads to within easy walking distance of the hostel.
All of these services make various stops in downtown Los Angeles.
- To Venice Beach hostels:Take Metro Bus 33 (check if number still current) from the Patsaouras bus plaza in back of Union Station to Grand Avenue (Windward Avenue) and Main Street for easy walking to the hostels.
- To Hermosa Beach Surf City Hostel: take Metro “LAX FlyAway” bus from Patsaouras bus plaza in back of Union Station nonstop to Los Angeles International Airport. Get off at any LAX terminal (for example, Southwest Airline's). Walk down one floor to the arrival (baggage claim) level and exit to street.
From there, take the free "Lot C Shuttle" to the LAX Transit Terminal. Then board Metro bus 109 southbound to 11th Street and Hermosa Avenue. Walk north on Hermosa and then left on Pier Avenue toward beach.
This route may seem a bit complicated, but saves you time and keeps you in safer areas.
Directions from Greyhound, downtown Los Angeles
- Take taxi or Uber (need its app) to Amtrak Union Station (2.9 km) and then follow above directions to Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica, or Venice Beach. You won't find the horrific area around the Greyhound terminal suitable for walking or taking public transit day or night.
Using the Big Blue and Metro bus links above, please reconfirm directions, such as bus numbers, prior to travelling.
Los Angeles Beach Hostel Tips: Venice, Santa Monica, and Hermosa Beach: Pros and cons
Los Angeles Hostel Tips: Hollywood: Pros and cons
Back to Top
Copyright 1999-2019 Nadeau eSolutions, LLC. All rights reserved.